This week was very exciting--my first paper that I worked on from start to finish! It was very full. I've been attending a lot of meetings, which has made me a negligent blogger--I'm sorry! Luckily, the long drives on country roads lead to a lot of thoughts about what I'm doing--and debating what to name my car. I first thought Carrie, but didn't want the Sex and the City reference. Cassie? I don't know. Aparently it is a girl.
The one thing that I've really picked up this week is the importance of meeting people and getting stories beyond the CNS. The best stories come from connections I've made in the community, and especially when you're new, it's important to touch base with everyone, introduce yourself, and encourage people to call you. I'm still meeting people, but it really helps to have story ideas coming to you!
I 'met' another journalist this week, at the Mulgrave meeting. I say 'met' because he did not acknowledge my presence! I'm used to other journalists saying hi, sharing nods, rolling eyes while listening to the reading of waste by-laws, but na da. This guy came in late, I nodded and smiled at him which he ignored, then proceeded to plunk himself down and slowly crack his knuckles, run his hands through his firmly gelled hair, and chew on his pen. It was a pleasure to make his acquaintence. After the meeting he ran up to talk to the Mayor, so I just listened to their interview, then after he left asked my own questions.
I'm also starting to get a better grasp of what matters to our readers, and how to edit submissions. We get columns of news from each community (they're cute--it's how I know who's going to Halifax, who's visiting, whose pets are sick...), letters to the editor, and other submissions, and I don't want to over edit them, but I also don't want to leave things vague. It feels like a very fine line.
Well, for now I'm off to the Pub to hear Peter MacKay's announcement. Next week we've got our business paper as well as the regular one going out, so I have got to set to work on the newest issue--the last one is just hitting newstands now.
And I will try to be a better blogger for the rest of the week. Also, if any one has suggestions for car names or a policy for printing political letters--leave a comment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i think you should call your car butch. like butch cassidy. that's a rad name. girl names for cars are usually reserved for boys who care way too much about them. (jenny?)
also, when am i going to get the two back issues i'm missing? i eagerly look forward to them! :)
Post a Comment